Having learned how to execute appium tests on android mobile web now is the time to learn how appium tests can be executed on mobile app. Lets begin with installing app on emulator or device -
Installing app on emulator/device: Following are the steps to install app on emulator or device on various operating systems -
- Execute the emulator (SDK Manager.exe->Tools->Manage AVDs...->New then Start)
- Start the console (Windows XP), Run -> type cmd, and move to the platform-tools folder of SDK directory.
- Paste the APK file in the 'android-sdk\tools' or 'platform-tools' folder.
- Then type the following command.
- adb install [.apk path]
- adb install C:\Users\Name\MyProject\build\Jorgesys.apk
- Copy the apk file to platform-tools in android-sdk linux folder.
- Open Terminal and navigate to platform-tools folder in android-sdk.
- Then Execute this command -
- ./adb install FileName.apk
- If the operation is successful (the result is displayed on the screen), then you will find your file in the launcher of your emulator.
Example : PATH=$PATH:/users/jorgesys/eclipse/android-sdk-mac_64/tools
Then run adb.
1.Run the emulator,
2.then copy your .apk file and paste into /Users/your_system_username/Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools,
2.1. if you are not able to find sdk path in your mac system, do the following steps,Open finder->select Go option on top menu -> select Go to Folder option -> it will popup a window with a textfield: /Users/your_system_username/Library/Android/sdk/ -> now open platform-tools folder and paste your copied .apk file,
- Now open terminal and type the following: cd Library/Android/sdk/platform-tools
- execute the following in your terminal: ./adb install yourapkfilename.apk
4.1. if you get the following error message: error: no devices found - waiting for device - follow the step 5.
- Run your emulator from Android Studio, once emulator active then repeat step 4, you will see the success message on your terminal.
Source - stackoverflow.com
Analyzing app element locators -
You can use uiautomatorviewer to identify app elements and use them in tests
Finding app package and app activity -
You need to know app package and app activity to be able to run test on mobile app.
- If app is already installed on device/emulator then you can find name of app package and app activity from catlog, start -
Launch app on emulator/device
Find the appPackage and appActivity from cat log, for ex following are the appPackage and appActivity for calculator app on my android emulator -
- You can also find app package and app activity from within appium app. Click android icon on appium app > select App Path checkbox > Choose apk file. After a while you will see Package and Launch Activity (app activity) on Android Settings window -
- You can also use an app called apkinfo to find out app package and app activity for an app installed on device
Example app test -
And this test can be executed from testng.xml file.