Well, I have started work on QTP after having worked on couple of functional test automation tools like – Selenium and Test Complete.
My first impression with QTP has not been very positive; herein I have listed few glitches I experienced so (I can only hope this list not overgrowing with time)
- No Refactor of code – so if u modify a function name in one place it has to be updated manually in all function calls
- “General Run Error” – try to check a check box which is disabled and you receive “General Run Error”! Can’t it say object is disable
There have been other mysteriously intermittent instances of “General Run Error” about whom I am still groping in dark
- If used ExecuteFile to get function definition in Action then there is no way to jump to function definition from action. Function has to be opened manually. (I don’t associate function library as it is going to hardcode path to function)
- While running QTP tests on a System it can not be used for any other task, QTP keeps bringing browser to top on which tests are executed
- QTP on locked system, File Upload just does not work on locked system
- Keep shared repo opened while executing test and be ready for unknown errors
- Unable to test API on fly (It is Test Complete feature I love most), so if you want to check Web Table data – GetCellData(row, column)
Then you should execute it in test and there is no way to tests it from Object Spy itself
- Some time have static screen while executing test and I keep waiting for next action, good if there were Test Complete sort of display during test execution
I have been sitting next to Tarun and watching him carefully document all the shortcomings in QTP. In fact when our manager walked by and saw his whiteboard completely covered with bright red comments he turned and took a second look.. though that may be just thanks to his handwriting! Anyway I can attest that everything written in this article is the result of careful analysis and extensive usage of the tool :)ReplyDelete
That's a short list... :)ReplyDelete
I have many many more, but comparisons of QTP to a standard IDE aside there are many features that could be improved in QTPs UI and capability.
You should step over to SQA Forums or HPs own forums where you can make an actual difference. This site will not instigate change I am sorry to say. Raise your list as a contribution list that everyone can list their grievances with QTP so maybe HP will start to take notice and provide us with some new millennium solutions instead of last century.
SQA Forums is regularly perused by HP ;)